“There was a lot left in me. I never got the chance to show them.” — Doc Hudson, from the movie “Cars”
If you are ready to let go of a car — whether it’s because it’s old, malfunctioning, or you simply don’t need it anymore — donating a car ensures you get the most out of its life and helps build a stronger, greener community and world. And Earth Day is an ideal time to do it!
Celebrate Earth Day with a Green Donation
The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970, to honor the achievements of the environmental movement and raise awareness of the need to protect our natural resources for future generations. It is celebrated every year on the same day to continue drawing attention to the climate crisis and encourage everyone to change their behavior to protect the environment.
Here is why donating your car is an excellent way to celebrate Earth Day:
- Eighty-six percent of a car’s materials can be recycled, reused, or used for energy recovery.
- Mining iron ore is energy intensive and causes air pollution and water pollution from the heavy metal and acid that drains from mines. Every ton of new steel made from scrap steel saves 2,500 pounds of iron ore.
- A typical car is made of approximately 65% steel, which can be recycled to make new vehicles. Every ton of new steel made from scrap steel conserves 1,400 pounds of coal. Decreasing our dependence on fossil fuels such as coal decreases the effects of climate change, reduces our dependence on oil, and helps increase energy sustainability.
- Every ton of new steel made from scrap steel saves 120 pounds of limestone, which helps mitigate limestone conservation challenges.
- The steel recycling industry saves the same amount of energy used to power 18 million homes a year.
- Recycling instead of producing new steel uses 74% less energy. That saves about 85 million barrels of oil a year.
Donating your old or junk car helps contribute to these efforts because you are decreasing the number of cars going to the junkyard. Here at Second Chances Garage, your old car can have an extended life by becoming a Program Car or being sold on our public lot. It can also be used as a parts car to help repair other cars. All of these prevent cars from unnecessarily going to the junkyard when they can still be used for a good cause.
Give Your Car a Second Chance! There’s a Lot Left in It
In addition to helping build a greener world, donating a car through Second Chances Garage helps make a difference in the Frederick County, Maryland community. The cars donated through Second Chances help individuals and their families on their journeys to independent living by providing them with reliable transportation, allowing them to earn a steady income and improve their financial stability. Learn more about our three-step donation process!