Here's how getting a Car works
jUST 3 SIMPLE STEPS TO BECOME A CAR RECIPIENT
Apply for a Car
Pick Up Your Car
FAQs for Getting a Car
We do require that you complete the application with an approved Partner Agency. You will be required to have a reference letter from the Partner Agency as part of your application
- Talk with your Partner Agency contact/case manager about jointly completing an application. Program fee of $500 plus $280 (title/tags/registration) is payable when the application is submitted.
- Submit completed applications online or in person with the supporting documents. Submit the program fee in person to our shop location. Application will be retained, but not reviewed until the program fee is received.
Completed applications will include copies of the following documents:
- Maryland Driver’s License for all drivers in household
- Pay stubs for the past two months and other paperwork to support income listed on application, e.g., food stamps, TCA, child support.
- Copy of non-certified driving record.
- Copy of written, working budget.
- Referral letter from Partner Agency.
- Cashier’s check or money order made payable to Second Chances Garage in the amount of $780.
Submitting an application does not guarantee that you will receive a vehicle.
Vehicles are awarded to applicants whose application is reviewed and approved based on our qualifications.
Approved applicants will receive a vehicle based on their needs and our current inventory, but do not have the opportunity to choose a specific car.
Second Chances Garage also sells low-cost cars to the general public. Anyone may purchase as there are no special qualifications or requirements. Proceeds from these car sales go directly to supporting operations at Second Chances Garage.
Every used car for sale has been carefully assessed and appropriately repaired. Most “Public Sale Vehicles” are Maryland Safety-inspected and offered with full disclosure of any known issues (e.g., information provided by the donor and information from Second Chances Garage’s assessment and repair process). Others may be sold with title only and will need repairs to pass inspection.
We do not offer financing or payment plans. Payment may be made with a money order, cashier’s check or cash.
We cannot accept trade-ins.
If you are interested in one of the vehicles currently for sale, please contact us at 240-724-1919.