Ever since Ford shut down production on their flagship SUV, the Bronco, Bronco enthusiasts have been hoping that one day it would make a comeback.
Well, that wait was over last July when Ford debuted the brand new, reimagined Ford Bronco after a 25-year hiatus.
So, what’s all the hype about anyway? Why does the Ford Bronco have what is often described as a “cult-like” following? In this article, we will discuss why the return of the Bronco has been so widely celebrated.
What is the Ford Bronco?
The first generation of the Bronco was conceived by the same product manager who conceived the classic Ford Mustang. Debuting in 1966, it became the first Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) for the Ford Motor Company.
Since 1966, the Bronco has gone through 6 generations:
- The 2nd generation debuted in 1978 and grew significantly in size to better compete with full-size SUVs on the market.
- The 3rd generation debuted in 1980 and addressed some of the issues the 2nd generation had and was able to be lighter with a more efficient powertrain while still retaining its bigger size.
- The 4th generation debuted in 1987 with modernized safety features such as the addition of an anti-lock brake system.
- The 5th generation debuted in 1992 and saw a lot of updates to the interior as well as aerodynamic revisions to the body.
The last Bronco of the 5th generation rolled out in 1996 after Ford discontinued production due to dwindling sales and the need to compete with different SUV models from competitors.
Feeling the Bronco Love
What made the Ford Bronco so beloved by car lovers? Why would so many celebrate its return 25 years and hundreds of car models later? Since its first generation, car enthusiasts have been in love with the Bronco for many reasons.
One of the biggest reasons it is so beloved is because the Bronco was designed for drivers. Before the Bronco, if you wanted to go off-road, your best option was a Jeep. However, Jeeps of that time tended to be a rough ride. The Bronco designers took all the complaints they heard about their competitor and created the first 4-wheel drive all-terrain vehicle that was comfortable and easy to handle like a sedan.
Another big reason the Bronco has always been popular is because of its sturdy construction. Many enthusiasts will swear that a Bronco might drive like a regular car, but it can take a pounding and be just fine. That was especially helpful to people who used it for hunting or farm or ranch work. It was sturdy but still fun to drive.
So far, the new Ford Bronco has not disappointed fans who were eagerly anticipating its return. Some of the most loved features of the new generation include:
- A design that is both retro and modern
- Endless customization possibilities with accessory options from grille designs to cargo management
- Even the base model comes loaded with options for off-roading
- It’s now surprisingly family-friendly with a four-door option and plenty of room inside for car seats, kids, and their cargo
- It touts modern technology from state of the art safety features to an intuitive infotainment system that includes an optional Wi-Fi hotspot
At Second Chances Garage, we get it – we love cars, too. That’s why we’re excited to announce that we have an opportunity for you to win and fall in love with your very own Ford Bronco.